6 Things You Can’t Control That Could Hurt You
Some things that happen to you—or are just part of the normal pattern of life—could put you at risk for skin cancer. It’s important to know about them.
- If you are fair-skinned or have blue or green eyes.
- If you have skin that burns, freckles, reddens easily or becomes painful in the sun.
- If you have burn scars or infections, or take medicines that make your skin sensitive to sunlight.
- If you have received radiation treatments or were exposed to certain chemicals.
- If you are a teenager, pregnant or going through menopause.
- If you have irregularly shaped moles.
Some source material from: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Skin Cancer (CDC.gov/Cancer/Skin)