Self-management programs help you learn how to live better by managing your disease.
Free six-week step-by-step self-management workshops are offered to adults who have or care for someone, living with a chronic condition, a cancer diagnosis, or diabetes.
How can Self-Management Programs help you?
All programs are highly interactive and led by a team of professional lay leaders. Lay leaders are people from the community who have experience in dealing with the same difficulties as those participating in the programs. They have received comprehensive in-person training to deliver the program content from a highly detailed manual. During the sessions, you will:
- Learn how to build skills to manage your disease
- Share experiences with others like you
- Help each other solve problems encountered
- Offer support to each other
What is a self-management program?
Programs are open to adults of all ages and abilities. They are evidence-based, originally developed at Stanford University. Programs feature the following:
- Small-group workshops — 12 to 16 participants
- 2.5 hours of time per session
- One session per week, for six weeks
- Community settings such as senior centers, places of worship, provider offices, libraries, and hospitals
- Rooms large enough for all participants to gather comfortably, plus space for two leaders and their materials
- Accessible locations
- Virtual classes
Become a self-management leader
Have experience living well while living with an illness, working with others to help them live better, or leading in a group setting? Volunteer to lead a Self-Management Program.Become a volunteer
Live better. Our Healthy Lifestyle Map will show you where you can find fresh local produce at farmers’ markets and how to stay active at local fitness centers and parks.View Healthy Lifestyle Map
Healthy Lifestyle — Better Choices for Better Chances
Better choices lead to better chances of avoiding chronic diseases. Lifestyle behaviors can affect health. Making little, healthier choices can go a long way.Learn more